Sunday, May 16, 2010

Denim-Bound

This is the first piece of clothing I've made for myself with the Singer outside of class. I just finished a trial run of this skirt with a piece of inexpensive brown cloth bought from the clearance section of Fabricland. We were told to just get something cheap and solid-coloured for class so that we wouldn't be distracted with the pattern or feel bad about having to take something apart if we screwed up a step. I thought that was really good advice. The instructor was a no-nonsense woman who wanted everyone to focus on mastering the basics and not developing bad habits. Pin, baste, sew, press. Pin, baste, sew, press.


The purpose of the skirt project was to learn how to make darts, waistbands, zippers, button-holes, and invisible hems. My brown skirt turned out a hundred times better than I had expected and I was kind of disappointed that I had chosen a poo-brown piece of fabric. That's where the denim skirt comes in. I had an afternoon sewing-date with one of my girlfriends and managed to finish most of this skirt in that time. I love stretch denim.

No comments:

Post a Comment