Sunday, June 02, 2013

Feed a Cold and Starve a Fever? Or Vice Versa?

Who knows.  All I know is that in the past ten days Adam and I have gotten both and it didn't stop me from cooking up a storm.  In my last post I wrote that Adam picked up some sort of viral thing which derailed my plans of attending a fancy party two Fridays ago.  Well just when he was getting over his fever last weekend, that was when my throat started to hurt.  On top of that Mike was leaving for Portland for 5 days on business so I had to suck it up.  I decided then to prepare various comfort foods that could be easily heated up for dinner during the week while Mike was away.  I spent most of the afternoon and evening last Sunday in the kitchen making lasagna, Hunter Chicken Stew, and banana-walnut-chocolate chip muffins. Mmm.

beef lasagna with spinach and ricotta cheese
Hunter Chicken Stew
Banana-walnut-chocolate chip muffins
Then on Wednesday Adam and I had a play-date sleepover at Brigitte's house and it was so much fun.  The babies, despite both being sick with separate ailments, were actually really cheerful and had a few awesome naps giving Brigitte and I time to try out a few new recipes. We made a "Contilentil Soup" from her Looneyspoons cookbook and a rhubarb pistachio ginger crisp from a recipe my mother-in-law gave me.  


Even grocery shopping was fun since we had both babies in the same shopping cart and they were happy to just look at everything around them in the aisles.  All the other women at the store were cooing and smiling at our babies and part of me wondered whether they thought we were lesbian parents out with our blond and mixed babies.  



The sleepover definitely helped the week pass by quickly and before we knew it Mike was back from Portland.  If Mike had just gotten home an hour earlier he would have seen Adam roll over for the first time from his back to his tummy.  I was so excited I started clapping and Adam had no clue what had just happened.  I was of course less than excited when he woke us up several times last night screaming because he had rolled half-way onto his tummy, got stuck in face-plant position, and panicked.  Silly baby.  It was happening so often we eventually brought him into bed with us to keep him from rolling.  The middle of the night is no time to practice new skills, sweet pea.  Let's see how tonight goes. Both Adam and I now have colds and probably the best remedy to bet on is rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment