Tuesday, July 22, 2014

PWB, Lola, and Me

Last month I attended another Purple Workbench weekend crafts event, this time at a lovely farmhouse in Cobourg.  I don't quite remember all the things I've been preoccupied with over the past four weeks but clearly I've neglected my blogging.  Time to play a bit of catch up.


I headed out early with Kelly and Meg to pick up the food that the eleven of us girls would be feasting on over the course of the weekend.  After unpacking our bags at the farm we drove into Port Hope. First stop, lunch at a small pizzeria.  When two very pregnant women want pizza, I've learned not to stand in their way.  Pizza was delicious, olives and all!

Next stop was Queenie's bakery, then the farmer's market, then Betty's for desserts.


So many desserts to choose from!  How do you select just a few? Well, simply, you don't.  You let Nancy sweet-talk you into buying more than you planned on in her totally innocent little way.  Just like a pro.
Kelly posing with Nancy at "Betty's". Confused yet?
I spent the weekend meeting a fantastically creative group of women with energy and spunk that was oh so refreshing.   For those two days women sewed, painted, quilted, crafted, talked, laughed, and ate so much good food.  Kelly, you're a fantastic chef.


I had decided to make another Lola dress, this time in a navy and gold polka-dot jersey.  Sounds like a strange combo, right?  I actually loved the result...at least, the combination of fabrics that is. Unfortunately the dress itself turned out to be too big on me, which was kind of bewildering considering I used the exact same pattern that I assembled for my first Lola.  That one fits beautifully.


I suppose it could be that the jersey is so much stretchier than the micro-suede...but still.    This dress ended up being at least a full size too large.  Perhaps a run through the dryer in high heat will help ;)
I ended up modeling it in the photo below with safety pins tucking the excess fabric in the back.



For fun I suggested that Meg, at 31-weeks pregnant, try on the Lola dress.  She was skeptical about her belly fitting and was concerned the fabric wouldn't bounce back after our little dress-up session.  Well it did, and she looked stunning in it!  Was it an expectant mother's glow?  Breathing fresh air on a sunny afternoon?  An incredibly talented photographer?  Maybe all of it combined.  Either way this is my favourite photo from the whole weekend. 

Meg, kicking off her shoes and enjoying the sunshine
Finally here are a few more photos from the weekend to show off some of the projects completed by the girls.







No comments:

Post a Comment