Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Silver Lining

Here I present the third (and potentially final) variation in my series of wool herringbone capes.


I chose another neutral colour, a lovely silver-grey, which I imagine will be stunning in the fall or winter months.  The piping is more subtle because of its colour which I continue to scrutinize. There is a slightly lavender hue to the piping colour which hints at a softer, more feminine look but I keep wondering whether a darker charcoal piping would have been a better match.  From a distance, like in the photo below, it is harder to notice the detailing along the back.


Finding a complimentary lining proved to be frustrating this time around as I had many second-thoughts.  I bought this blushing antiques polyester long before I was ready to start on the grey cape and at a time when I didn't have my wool swatches with me.  I kept circling the rows and aisles of fabric and returning to this one on the bolt.  Fine, I decided to buy enough for one cape and give it a try.

As I sewed my way through the chocolate brown cape I occasionally took out the blushing antiques fabric and laid it against the silver herringbone, examining it up close and from afar. Somehow by the time I finished the brown cape I had convinced myself there was something better out there.  

Another trip to Queen street and another afternoon poring over satins, polyesters, silks.  Feeling the pressure not to come home empty-handed I purchased a dusty wine-rose jacquard from King Textiles but was somewhat dissatisfied on the return trip.  I went as far as cutting out the entire lining and pinning it to the half-finished wool outer shell. Then I took out the blushing antiques polyester again and stared.  Then I stared some more.

Mike helped me to make the final call.  I presented the two linings and he promptly chose the floral without hesitation.  I think when you spend too much time obsessing about a thing it takes a step back, or an outside perspective, to see the right choice.


Now that the cape is in its final form, the silver herringbone and floral lining wonderfully coupled, there's absolutely no more doubt in my mind.  Mike's veto to the jacquard was well-played.



And you may have noticed that this cape has a label!  My labels arrived last week and I have been hand-stitching them into the capes I've already completed.  Going forward I will use the machine and also add a centre-fold label along one of the seams.  Shouldn't be long now before I announce the online opening of Red Herring Road featuring my collection of wool herringbone capes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment