Thursday, January 07, 2010

More Deviling at the Workshop

After having such a great time at the wedding band workshop I signed up for a 6-week Silversmith class at the Devil's Workshop in the fall.  It was such a nice escape to spend 3 hours there every Tuesday night, focusing on just the small projects in front of me and spending an evening with other women.  The cozy studio has room for only 6 students which I thought was a perfect size for an intimate setting.  

Silver ring


Cufflinks for Mike

Over those six weeks I worked on three projects. I started with the silver ring which taught me some new techniques such as drilling, sawing small shapes, and testing the hammering effect on silver.










Next I used matching Tiger's Eye cabochons to create a pair of cufflinks for my Mike which was a real challenge when it came to setting the stones. I was really proud of the results and Mike has already worn them at least once!








Earrings for me!


Finally I finished off with a pair of leaf earrings for myself.  It was really cool dipping the gleaming silver pieces into a clear sulfur chemical solution and watching the metal instantly turn black!  I then lightly polished the leaves and all of the more recessed points were left with the dark patina.


No comments:

Post a Comment