Friday, September 17, 2010

Lost Wax Casting


I started my casting course at George Brown on Monday nights and it's looking to be a fun course.  In the lost wax casting process the metal piece (jewellery, ornament, or other) is cast from a wax sculpture or model. Typically the jewellery created using investment casting takes on a more organic or three-dimensional shape which may be too difficult or wasteful to create by working with metal directly.  I was excited to take this course at George Brown because working with wax was going to be very different than working with metal and I thought it would give me more freedom to design my pieces.



First things first, I had to learn the basics of filing wax which was tedious for someone as impatient as I am!  We started with a simple band ring, then moved onto a man's signet ring which was a bit more tricky.  The wax was much easier on my hands than metal is but I did have to wear a mask to prevent inhaling too much of the filings.



No comments:

Post a Comment