Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Babysaurus Rex Part Two: The Torso


Aside from making the semi-successful pumpkin granola this weekend I also finished off Adam's dinosaur costume.  Last week I started with the head. Then, after three attempts at the inner lining I finally got something that fit properly around his torso.  I mostly sew during Adam's naps and this means I can't try things on him as I go along.  I try to use some of his shirts as guidelines and sketch up pseudo-patterns to follow but it's not really the same as having a physical model to try it on.  However once I got the sizing down the rest was just a lot of fun.  

I wanted a round, stuffed belly for the dinosaur as well as a stuffed tail and spikes all down the back.  I debated for a while about where to put the opening for the torso and didn't like the idea of a zipper running through his belly or interfering with the scaly spine.  In the end Velcro did the trick and I used it along one side of the torso and shoulder strap to secure the costume together.  Velcro is certainly simpler than installing a zipper and I should have thought of that from the start!


Scrap fabric for inner lining
Velcro closure along the side

Orange felt for the spikes
Tonight Mike helped try the costume on Adam and check the fit.  Halloween is gonna be awesome!




"Raaargh!"

1 comment:

  1. Cute little Babysaurus. I love this cutie.
    Aj

    ReplyDelete