Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Art of Juki

I finally cracked open the box and got out my new  Juki today.  That's right, the time has finally come for me to own a serger!  I am so excited!  You wouldn't have known it if you had seen the box lying by the front door unopened for about a eight days.  The week when it arrived was somehow filled with activities and involved a lot of rushing here or there (although for the life of me I can't remember what all the fuss was about now)  I was forced to neglect my Juki until I could clear space in the sewing room which I promptly did yesterday after completing Adam's Halloween costume.  Actually I had a small window to open the Juki last week before Adam woke up from his nap so I tore open the box....only to find a smaller box (pictured above) inside.  Doh.  Then Adam woke up. 

I spent a bit of time online reading about different sergers before I settled on the Juki MO-654DE.  From what I've read it's a workhorse, small but powerful with quite a number of features.  Here's another detailed review of it.  The choice was between this and the Brother 1034D which is more affordable and known for being very user friendly.  Ultimately I thought the Juki would take me further in my sewing and wanted to put in the investment.  I searched online for deals, sales, coupons, etc.  Didn't find much other than full-price models which run several hundreds of dollars.  I finally settled on buying a store model on eBay (new but opened from box for display purposes) which was being sold at a discount.  Of course, when I was presented with the C.O.D (collect on delivery) charges it was like a slap to the face.  I've never seen a C.O.D for that amount. It basically wiped away the savings for buying a store model.  Although I didn't really have any other option since all other Juki's I found were also being sold from the U.S. and would have had just as high a collection fee.   There may have been one or two older Juki models being sold for a bargain in Canada second-hand but since I don't know anything about sergers [yet] I didn't want to risk buying a dud (and not even realizing for months while I tampered with it).





I've gotten as far as removing it from its packaging and drooling over it.  Now I just need to read through the manuals before I start so I don't do something foolish and muck it all up.  It supposedly came already threaded and ready to go but I should flip through the manual first just as a precaution.

English anywhere?
Yay, at least some English on these pages
Perhaps I'll be doing more skimming than reading...


1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a serger for some time, mostly reading reviews on amazon. After some research I can say Singer ProFinish is a decent choice. Pro Finish has a lot of helpful features and many stitch options. It comes in at an exceptionally affordable price compared to many machines in its class. Instructional Video is included.

    ReplyDelete