Friday, December 03, 2010

Copper Spoon: Forging Technique (cont'd)


copper blank and brass template
I did it, I managed to saw out the copper blank in just over 40 minutes and I'm proud to say I didn't break a single saw blade. After filing down the edges and annealing the copper I went on to saw out a brass spoon template. This took about 10 - 15 minutes which seemed like a breeze compared to the 3mm thick copper.




Results after initial forging
Next it was time to tackle the forging hammer. Which really meant pounding for a good 20 minutes and then switching to a lighter hammer. My forearms were throbbing at that point and I figured I was better off having to pound harder with a lighter hammer than having my forearms scream at me for the next two hours.


I had a very difficult time forming the copper blank into the shape of the brass template. The goal was to thin out the spoon bowl and top end of the handle, meanwhile shifting the excess copper into the neck of the spoon where it should be thickest. Shifting metal is easier said than done!

Trying to shift metal from the bowl to the neck of spoon


As you can probably make out in the photos the bowl of the spoon is still quite thick so I have a long way to go. We had the option of also making the spoon out of silver, which only one student chose to do. I wasn't quite confident enough to lay down $80 for a silver spoon but unfortunately that means not being able to use this copper spoon once I'm finished.












No comments:

Post a Comment