Monday, September 24, 2012

Expansion Panels!


Expansion panels are a pregnant girl's best friend.  I was first introduced to the idea last winter when I saw Kelly (from done-well) shortly after she had her beautiful bouncing baby girl.  Kelly's winter coat had a colourful panel that zipped in perfectly to her existing front zipper, and the panel had pleats allowing it to grow or shrink with her pre- and post-pregnant belly.  I thought it was genius and knew I would definitely copy that idea if I ever needed to.  Sure enough, Baby Boy is due in January and now I have a great excuse to make expansion panels!

Pinning the zipper to the panel

The panel I made this weekend is a very basic plain one to match a black zippie that is perfect for this fall weather.  On Saturday I headed down to Queen St. and found the store that Kelly had suggested for matching zippers. I can't believe in all the times I've gone to my regular fabric stores along Queen St. I didn't know of the Leather & Sewing Supply Depot.  It's actually just off of Queen St. on Vanauley St. two blocks west of Spadina (right by EuroFab).  There's a small yellow sign outside and you have to go downstairs to the store which has a very industrial feel to it.  They have a wonderful selection of zippers, fabrics, embellishments, and tools.  The little European woman who worked there found me a matching 25" zipper within 5 minutes - amazing.

I chose a stretchy ribbed heavy cotton for the panel that matches the waistband part of the zippie.  I originally thought of making the panel colourful so it would stand out but there wasn't a whole lot of selection in colours for that type of ribbed cotton so I defaulted to simple black.  When I got home I went straight to work. 




The sewing part was surprisingly straightforward and before I knew it my dilemma of the exposed belly was resolved.  I have a brown down-filled winter coat that is very warm and I fully intend on making an expansion panel for that so I can go on some winter walks when to keep from going stir-crazy once the baby has arrived. I don't know if there are already places out there that specialize in custom expansion panels but if not, there definitely should be! Thanks Kelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment