Monday, September 10, 2012

Mya Ella's Dress

I spent most of this past weekend either sewing or getting my sewing accessories in order.  I have several new baby projects that I'd like to tackle since there will be about four baby showers and celebrations to attend over the next month or so!  What a year for babies!


This cute dress with matching bloomers is for my cousin's new daughter, Mya Ella, who was born just a few weeks ago while we were still in Iceland.  I had bought the pretty floral fabric at the beginning of summer but never got around to doing anything with it thanks to my first-trimester hormones that kept me mostly napping whenever I could.

The fabric matched well with the blue micro-fiber pieces I had left over from Anna's Fabulous Five dress.  I found a cow applique that I thought was pretty adorable in the store but now that it's on the dress I'm a bit disappointed at how it turned out. The colours aren't very vibrant and seem out of place with the rest of the dress but oh well, I'm sure Mya won't mind.


I used three snap buttons along the back since making actual button holes somewhat stresses me out. I made a few early on when I just started learning to sew but the Singer buttonholer attachment, though very cool in design, doesn't work the best and sometimes chews up the fabric slightly.  


Perhaps I should just spend half an hour making buttonholes on scrap fabric to get over my wimpy nerves.   Then I'll be able to incorporate them into my future projects because I do think buttons are awesome.

The bloomers were pretty quick to make and just adorable, don't you think? That little bit of lace across the bum is my favourite part :)  The bloomers look pretty big in comparison with the dress but I suppose it's so they can fit around those sure-to-be heavy diapers!


More fun with the camera

No comments:

Post a Comment