Saturday, August 03, 2013

Mish Mush?

This past month I've been trying various pureed foods out on Adam to get him used to new textures and flavours.  So far he's sampled mashed or pureed bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, apple sauce, oat/barley cereal, and now....broccoli!

I'm happy to report that he gobbles down the non-sweet foods (e.g. avocados and broccoli) as readily as the sweet ones.  I've been giving him a new food only every three days or so to make it easier to identify any potential food allergies (none so far, knock on wood).  Now that we've tried a pretty good variety I think I'll make his purees in larger batches and freeze them so he can have different tastes day to day.  Yesterday I started with broccoli and carrots.  


I put the carrots (chopped into smaller pieces) and broccoli florets into the steamer basket, then steamed for about 20 minutes.  Possibly could have removed the veggies after 15 minutes but I wanted to make sure the carrots were nice and soft.  Then I put the carrots and broccoli (separately) into a blender along with some of the water from the pot and voila - orange and green mush!



I had read previously that ice cube trays come in handy when freezing baby purees and yes, each cube really is equal to an ounce (I tested it)!  Adam will easily gobble down at least four cubes at a time though so one tray only lasts about three meals.



Next I tried to put the tray into a large freezer bag but as you can see it was just oh so slightly too small. Darn.  I thought maybe if I just sealed the zipper as much as possible it would be ok but there was some frost after a few hours.


Once the purees solidified I popped the cubes out of the tray and stored them in a smaller freezer bag.  Don't they look delicious?  Maybe because they look like little popsicles....mmmmm orange and green apple :)

No comments:

Post a Comment