Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Drape Drape Project #1: One-Piece Side Drape Tank Top

After tracing and assembling the pattern pieces for four Drape Drape projects I debated which to start with. Having avoided working with stretchy fabrics for years out of fear (and partly due to lack of a serger) my selection of knits on hand was limited to the violet striped fabric recently turned into a sweater wrap.    

I was leaning towards starting the Drop-Waist Gather Drape Dress but the pattern was too big for the remaining piece of fabric.  How about the Drawstring-Detail Drape Top?  Also too large for the fabric.  I was surprised because I actually had quite a lot of fabric left over (mostly because it was on sale for only $5/meter and it was the last of the bolt).  It turns out that these Drape Drape projects require quite a large piece of fabric since the designs are usually one continuous piece. I'm sure the remaining fabric would have been plenty for a regular shirt or dress constructed out of several smaller pieces but in the end, the only pattern that would even fit on the remaining knit was the One-Piece Side Drape Tank.  And even that only just barely fit.  The pattern edge touched the fabric edge in three places, essentially fixing the orientation of the stripes and allowing for no leeway.

This was unfortunate because the stripes wouldn't be symmetric and would actually be almost completely vertical along the back piece. Ugh.  Not desirable.  Oh well, I went with it so I could see the finished product and decide whether it was even the right size for me.  It's really a shame I was missing that top left corner of fabric but it couldn't be helped; my sweater wrap needed sleeves!



The great thing about this project was that cutting the fabric and sewing the piece together was so simple. I didn't even follow the instructions to be honest.  I skimmed over it, disagreed with the order of the steps, then just serged the whole thing together based on what I had learned on my stretch T-shirt serging date with Kelly  back in March.


So here's the final tank top.  Left side view - not bad.  Right side view - not great.  Back view - bah.

I'm truly not a fan of the vertical stripes.  They remind me of a basketball player's jersey.  And the crazy intersection of near-vertical stripes with near-horizontal stripes is bordering on downright ugly
Crazy stripes - an unfortunate incident of "making-the-most-with-scraps"
But not a bad start.  It was a quick project and gave me more practice with knits.  I'd definitely give it another go, possibly even with stripes again but I'll be sure to get a large enough piece of fabric so that everything is symmetric.  Also I think the stripes should be going diagonally downwards to the side with the draping (see my previous post for a photo with the model) to accentuate the drape.  Mine on the other hand go diagonally upwards just slightly before the drape, then get pulled down again.  That's another unfortunate fallout of not having enough fabric to change the orientation of the pattern.

Finishing the edges were pretty easy with the serger.  Too bad the final result looks a bit messy with the differently-oriented stripes playing tricks on the eyes.


Here's me with it on.  Pretty good fit, very flowy and comfortable.  Definitely a good maternity top option for anyone expecting.  I think I will add a wide ribbed cuff to the bottom of my next tank top for extra weight.  Looking forward to my next Drape Drape project!

1 comment:

  1. you're a tough critic. I think it's awesome. and because you've got such a great figure, the vertical stripes actually look pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete