Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Violet Striped Sweater Wrap

Here is a simple project for a knitted sweater wrap that can be worn in several ways.  Years ago I received a black one as a gift and wear it all the time. I like the way it drapes and had worn it for quite some time before I actually opened it up to see that it was such an easy design.  The whole thing is literally a rectangle with two armholes for attaching sleeves!  Honestly that's it in terms of shape.  Talk about great beginner's sewing class....or should I say serger's class.  I only needed the Juki for the entire thing. 

The main piece is a rectangle that measures approx. 34" x 75".  For the sleeves I simply measured the length of my arm from wrist to shoulder and then jotted down the circumference at my wrist, elbow, and shoulder.  It was pretty make-shift to do it this way instead of digging out one of my dress patterns that has a sleeve but sometimes I just like to wing it (especially for a spur-of-the-moment 11pm project).

For my original black one I added a button in order to help the wrap stay in position when draped across the body. I think I will do the same here in a few places to keep the whole thing from unraveling.  

Below is the wrap just worn open (no biggie).
And here's how I usually wear my black one - over one shoulder.  Easy peasy.  Now run out and get some knitted fabrics already!

No comments:

Post a Comment