Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Drape Drape Project #3: Drape Vest with Oversized Pockets

The charm of this third Drape Drape project (obviously) is the oversized pockets.  They really are big.  This vest is basically the ultimate mama wardrobe accessory since I can pack just about anything in these pockets when I'm on the go with Adam.  Seriously, I can probably fit diapers, bibs, napkins, and even a book - all that in just the left pocket :D

It was on my recent shopping spree for knits and stretch fabrics that I found this pretty olive cotton with a slight bit of stretch.  It looked more green at the store than it does in these photos right now.  And strangely when I initially got home with it and showed Mike it looked dark brown to both of us under the living room light.  The colour is quite lovely, I assure you, but it clashes pretty terribly with my dress form.




The pattern calls for W=1.55m x L=2m but boy is that way too much fabric!  I had enough material for two full Drape vests plus another short-sleeved shirt.  That's actually what helped me decide to double up on the fabric here.  The book doesn't call for a sweatshirt fleece but it's what I imagined the vest to be made of so I went with it.  


Off I went sewing the right sides of the main bodice together to produce a double-layered finish panel.  I think that's what ended up making the rest of the project a challenge.  All of the seams ended up being extra bulky and awkward for putting through the serger.  And then when it came time to finishing the neck I realized just how thick this would end up being.  For the section of fabric that rests along the back of the neck  the two edges of the panel are sewn together to form a closed cylinder.  I suppose this design creates more draping around the shoulders but means my layers x2 just got doubled to x4 in that one localized section.  That's a lot of fabric around the neck!  For cooler temps it's not bad, kind of like a warm scarf to protect against a chilly breeze.  For warmer spring/summer weather those extra layers are gonna be damn uncomfortable.

Anyway it's not my favourite of the Drape Drape projects but was definitely worth trying.  And hey, I'll be the most stylish and well-prepared mother at the next toddler drop-in class, dazzling everyone with how much food and bum wipes I can pull out of thin air (or gi-normous pockets).

Close-up of fabric detail (tiny chevrons on upside, stripes on reverse) 

No comments:

Post a Comment