Friday, May 16, 2014

Drape Drape Project #2: Drawstring Detail Top

Drape Drape Project #2 was a lot of fun to make, even if the instructions were hard to decipher at first read.  There were several steps that I had to read, re-read, then read a third time while staring at the pictures in order to understand what the heck the instructions were asking me to do. 

For example: 

Step 3: Fold the right side of the bodice front back from the hem so that the wrong side (reverse) of the fabric becomes the upside.

Or this one:

Step 5.  Fold the right side of the bodice front at the hem, fold the bodice back at the shoulders, and sew together the front and back sides at the left and right.

Fortunately there weren't too many steps and the pictures were helpful.


So far I've found that because these Drape Drape projects really try to limit the number of pieces to just one or two, I end up with a tonne of fabric left over after cutting out the pattern. I can almost make a second drape top with this (definitely enough for a regular top).


The drawstring detail is really the best part of the shirt which no doubt is why the project is named after it. I debated switching the detail over to the left shoulder rather than the right one because it would be a good way to break up the huge continuous drape on the left bodice.  The right half is already naturally broken up by having the left side cross over it.  In the end I stuck to the pattern since there was already a seam on the right shoulder where the drawstring detail was supposed to go.  I am still tempted to add some sort of beading or detailing to the left side though.  I just can't help myself!
Oh, and here's a little tip with the drawstring.  I found that in order to maintain a nice ruching detail (i.e. lots of gathering) at the right shoulder I had to tie the drawstring bow pretty tightly, otherwise the fabric would just spread out with a loose bow.  Unfortunately a tight bow pulls the two edges of the right shoulder (on either ends of the ruching) forward and towards each other so that the underside of the fabric faces out.  With jersey knit material the right and wrong sides of the fabric are not all that distinguishable from each other but it still looks messy to see part of your shirt flip inside out. Therefore I cheated by sewing the drawstring to the shirt at the two ends after achieving the right ruching that I wanted.    Now I can tie a loose bow and the gathering stays in place.  A bonus is that I don't have to worry about the drawstring getting lost in the wash  :)

1 comment:

  1. Your neckline and armhole finishing is so professional! Is this mad skill? Just a great job by your old Singer?! I'm so impressed. I need practice. Love this top esp the colour.

    ReplyDelete