Saturday, October 27, 2012

Maternity Tunic

For my birthday this past summer, when I was just coming out with the news of my pregnancy, I received a maternity blouse from one of my good friends.  Lately as the weather is getting much cooler I'm finding it a challenge to get by on the few articles of maternity clothing I own.  I really don't enjoy the maternity jeans I bought (maybe because they were a relatively cheap pair from Old Navy) or the skinnier jeggings type that my cousin lent me because they both seem to keep riding down on the hips rather than stay snugly in place.  I've decided to try and get by for the remainder of my pregnancy mostly with tights, leggings, and skirts.  The problem with tights is that I need longer tops to make the outfit decent for the office (even though our dress code is pretty relaxed and I'm sure they'd make exceptions for my situation).

Anyway one of the things I've been doing is looking at which of my tops could be lengthened to wear as a tunic with tights.  One that came to mind was the blouse I got for my birthday. I forgot to take photos of the blouse before making modifications but it's pretty easy to imagine - everything grey was part of the original blouse and everything blue is new!


When I was at Fabricland last week looking (unsuccessfully) for a nice cotton out of which to make our baby's chenille blanket I did come across this light faux-denim trim which was on sale - 4m for the price of 1m!  I didn't know what I wanted to make with it but I thought it would come in handy.  That was exactly the case in transforming this blouse into a tunic.


Ideally I would have had four rows of trim along the bottom of the shirt just to get a bit more length but I didn't have quite enough so I stuck with three, then used the remainder to add some details around the front collar.

  

Ta-dah!  Pretty cute tunic right? And now I can wear it with tights and boots.  Ok, back to my sewing-on-hold rule.  This will be tough since my Peekaboo Partridge fabric just arrived in the mail yesterday, and today at Ikea I bought really pretty matching fabric to make curtains out of in the baby's room!

No comments:

Post a Comment