Tuesday, January 01, 2013

It *Does* Snow in Toronto!

Here are some photos from last week that I never got around to posting.  We may not have had much snow for Christmas day but I was really happy about having snow on the ground for Boxing Day.  Close enough, right?  It probably worked out better that way...fewer traffic issues with everyone trying to get to and from their turkey dinners.
Clearing the sidewalk
I took a few shots of Mike shoveling the snow.  Neither of us have had to do any shoveling in years since we've been spoiled with living in a condo but this year we were prepared with shovels since November. When I was still living at home with my parents our neighbour would always be out with a broom sweeping away the last traces of snowflakes on the driveway. I always thought it was a bit obsessive-compulsive...but sure enough now that we have our own house and I'm ready to pop out a baby on a moment's notice I wanted the porch steps and walkway to be spotlessly dry.  It made a huge difference using the broom and I have to say, our steps and portion of the sidewalk were the cleanest of any house around us.  


We saw many of the neighbours out shoveling that day which was kind of nice since people have been holed up inside their houses ever since it got dark and cold outside.  The older woman across the road opened her front door to wave over at me and yell something out in Italian.  I had no idea what she said but smiled and waved back.  Mike thinks she was just trying to tell "the pregnant lady" to drop the broom and go back inside.  I'm not so sure.

Finally here's a nice photo that Mike took with his tripod as the snow was coming down at night. It doesn't actually look like snow is falling in this picture but it definitely was, and the street was absolutely silent. It was magical - the snow was completely undisturbed all around us except for our own footsteps.  Happy 2013 everyone!  The holidays have been excellent!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year!!! I just caught up on your blog! amazing! You are so going to be one of those new-moms who magically keep up with all your hobbies! I just know it! Thanks for the shout-out about the quilt. I'm totally going to hijack the pictures and your post :) Some of what you wrote was ironic... You'll see why when I write about the quilt and how it came together... Let's hang out soon before baby boy arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late :) Baby came two weeks early, born Jan. 3rd at 2:44pm weighing 7lbs 2 ounces. Last night was our first one at home with him. Love at first sight.

    ReplyDelete