Saturday, May 18, 2013

Herringbone Newsboy Cap

I am sooo excited about this new baby newsboy cap I made yesterday!  We're off to a wedding in Barrie today and had originally planned to leave Adam with my parents for the whole day. However just a few days ago we decided to bring him along for the ceremony part and then drop him off before the reception since there was going to be a few hours break in between. On top of that it's our first time away from Adam and I didn't want to spend the entire day wondering whether it was too soon to call my parents (again) and check up on him.  My parents are fantastic with him...the issue is more that he's not great with a bottle (but definitely getting better) and that makes me uneasy about leaving him for any lengthy period.  Plus the logistics of having to pump multiple times while away for a wedding...ugh, enough said.

Anyway that left me thinking a few days ago that Adam had nothing to wear to the ceremony! Now yes, I know he's only 4 1/2 months and no one is going to shake their heads at him if he arrives at the church in a onesie and joggers...but still. Yesterday came along and I still hadn't had a chance to look for anything for the little guy so I decided I was just going to have to make him something.  The problem was that almost all of my fabric is flowery and girly since all of my sewing so far has been either for myself, my mother, or baby girls!  I didn't have the car yesterday to run out to Fabricland or Lens Mills so I dug and dug in my closet.  Then I found this wonderful herringbone suede-like material I bought years ago.  I was perfect for this project - boyish enough for a newsboy flat cap and thick enough to save me the step of using fusible interfacing :)

I bought the flat cap pattern off Etsy in the morning and started cutting out the pieces during Adam's afternoon nap.  The engineer in me would have wanted to figure out the pattern myself but the excited sewer (and now practical mum!) in me just wanted to skip ahead to the sewing part.  Time was a tickin'.

Inner lining for hat body
I managed to snap a few shots of the hat during construction.  Because I didn't need to use interfacing the whole hat was made with just six pieces:  Two pieces of lining for the hat body (above photo), two pieces of herringbone for the hat body (below), and two pieces of herringbone for the brim.  Otherwise I would have needed medium interfacing for the hat body and then thick weight for the brim (3 extra pieces).

Hat body and brim completed using Herringbone


Fortunately the whole project was pretty quick, although I had to do it in chunks  based on Adam's napping schedule and when Mike got home from work.  I was rushing to finish the cap even as Mike was getting Adam ready for bed and managed to slip it over his sleepy head for a quick peek at the finished product before turning off the lights.  Fits like a glove :)  This was an awesome project, and now that I know how simple it was to make I plan to do a few more using different fabrics.  Maybe a light plaid one for summer? Wool one for winter?  So many possibilities.  Can't wait until the little guy wakes up in the next hour so I can snap some photos of him in it!



1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Danielle!!! So "Newsies"! Now teach Adam to sing "I'm the King of New York!"

    ReplyDelete