Friday, December 13, 2013

London Fog

A month ago today I was on an 8-hour plane ride home from London England with Mike and Adam after attending my cousin's beautiful wedding and visiting with family.  I had intended on writing about the trip shortly after returning but then things got busy and I kept putting the writing on hold. Now it's all sort of a fog, that 5-day whirlwind trip, but I'll do my best to re-cap.

Needless to say I was nervous traveling overseas with a clingy, curious, wriggly 10-month old baby. It didn't help that Adam had a fever and was throwing up just days before we left. Luckily that all cleared up in time for the trip.  As it turned out, to our relief and delight, the plane rides there and back were relatively straight-forward.  Okay yes, Adam had a meltdown all throughout the safety demo and take-off but then he was snoring (loudly) by the time we were at altitude. That was a relief for everyone on the plane no doubt, and even Mrs. Dagger Eyes sitting beside us eventually relaxed her eyebrows.  I, on the other hand, was stiff as a board having Adam sleep on me for the entire flight.  Looking back I'm sure I could have put him down or passed him to Mike at some point but I was just cringing at the thought of him waking up all the passengers so I simply (or maybe not so simply) stuck it out.  Gold star for mama.  Fortunately on the flight home we made use of the bassinet I reserved with British Airways. 

Lesson #1.  If you can reserve a bassinet for the flight, DO it, then USE it.  

Never mind that the bassinet is too small for a 10-month old baby.  USE IT.  Your body will thank you.

Flight home
Flight to London
Against my family's persistent objections we decided to rent a car which would make getting around with baby and gear much easier.  We rented a car in Melbourne where you also drive on the opposite side of the road but in Australia the steering wheel is at least on the left-hand side.  In London Mike had to get used to right-hand steering on top of driving on the left side, not to mention numerous intimidating roundabouts. He navigated like a champ though, and having the car gave us the convenience and flexibility that is oh so important when you are traveling with a baby.  I was grateful for it on the day of the wedding when we were running to and from hotel, ceremony, and reception with long breaks in between.  

Lesson #2. Don't underestimate the importance of convenience when traveling with a baby.  

It also meant that we could rent a car seat instead of lugging ours with us from Toronto.  

Lesson #3.  Rent or borrow baby gear as much as possible.

We rented the car seat and borrowed a travel crib.  It's questionable whether we really even needed to bring the stroller. It came in handy for his naps on the day of the wedding but for the rest of the trip I just used the baby carrier.  London subways are a nightmare if you can't use stairs.

Leaving Blackhorse Station
On the day of the wedding it was cold but beautifully sunny outside. Yes that's right. Sunny...in London. Oh Sue, you were a very lucky bride!  I mean, aside from scoring an awesome husband of course. The ceremony was at Fanhams Hall in Herfordshire - pure elegance and charm.  The reception was at a Chinese restaurant and they had one of those popular photo booths set up.  So much fun!

Lesson #4.  Every wedding needs a photo booth.  

Lesson #5.  Smile for the camera or else you'll be labeled the grump.  

Yes Adam, we're talking about you.



Once the wedding was over we really had just two days to visit with family and explore the city so we packed in as much as possible.  We went for fish and chips, visited the Tower of London, rode the London Eye, and walked around Oxford Circus.  I even saw Billy Elliot the Musical with my cousins for a girls' night out. The movie had made me cry and the musical did the same.

Lesson #6: Do touristy-things when you're a tourist because heck, why not!

I look like Mary Poppins visiting the London Eye
Adam laughing at the guard's hat
Mike laughing at his own hat
Who's not laughing at this guy's hat?
And finally, I just want to say that after having traveled with Adam to London it was definitely worth the trouble.  He adapted easily to the time change and different faces and settings, and we got to spend a wonderful few days seeing London with family.

Lesson #7:  Traveling with a baby IS possible!







No comments:

Post a Comment