Saturday, December 14, 2013

DIY Fabric High Chair

When I read these fabric high chair tutorials from this mama makes stuff and homemade by jill I knew I had to make one.  They're so simple and yet so functional!  Last weekend we forgot to pack the travel high chair when we went for dinner at the in-laws so we ended up propping Adam on some cushions and then strapping him to the back of a chair with a belt.  Good grief, 2-point harness! It worked pretty well to be honest but didn't look all that comfortable.



Then I came across these tutorials so yesterday I pulled out my pretty fabrics and got to work.  I'm not even going to bother explaining how to make this because it's so easy and already covered in the tutorials I mentioned above.  I'll just say that the dimensions I ended up using were:

Waist belt: 40" x 6"
Connector: 4" x 6"
Front panel: 10" x 20"

Outside fabric
Inside fabrics
I used whatever materials I had on hand and was a bit short of the pink-yellow honeycomb pattern which is why part of the lighter floral fabric spilled over into the front panel.  I really love piping and pulled a bright orange one out from my stash.  It was perfect.  Piping just breathes life into a project.


The only catch to using this fabric high chair is that you have to have the right kind of chair.  It works best where the chair backing has vertical bars, such as with our dining chairs.  Otherwise there needs to be a gap between the back and the seat in order to feed the front panel through. Here's what I mean:

Yup
Yup
Nope
Our dining chairs have bars and a gap so the waist belt can be fed through (as shown below) or wrap around from behind.  Either way would work but threading through the bars allows for a more snug fit around the body.



The waist belt attaches with long Velcro strips around the front panel which folds over the top.



"Abracadabra!"
And when you're not using the high chair you can just wrap the front panel around the waist belt a few times and then secure it closed with the Velcro.  

Pretty. Simple.  


No comments:

Post a Comment