Sunday, September 29, 2013

Little Red Riding Bonnet

Making baby clothes is so much fun!  The projects don't require much fabric so your scraps are perfect...plus they don't take nearly as long to make as adult clothes.  Sometimes I can whip up something over the course of just two or three good baby naps.  The downside is that babies outgrow clothes so darn quickly...and sewing sleeves for a tiny shirt can get pretty finicky.


Here's a new red bonnet that I just finished for little Delia who will be twelve months old by the time this post is published.  :D My fingers are crossed that the little bonnet will fit.  It certainly does on Adam who is three months younger which sort of concerns me.  I actually Googled "head circumference for babies" and one site said that growth slows down after the first six months.  By one year the average circumference is about 18".  Hm....I think Adam's head is already at 18.5" :O  But then again it's hard to take a head measurement for a squirmy baby so it could have just as easily been 16.5" with all of his bouncing and hand waving.

Here's another shot of the hat with the inner lining in focus.  I used this fabric for Lily's dress last year and Grace's flat cap earlier this summer.  See what I mean about scraps coming in handy?  It works so well with this red wool that came from an old skirt belonging to Mike's grandmother.


I had some leftover black piping lying around which was just long enough for a floral detail on the side of the bonnet.  I have a thing for using piping or binding to create floral detailing.  I've used binding in this manner for several past projects including my green wool skirt and ribbon shirt.  The first time was on my Boxing Day shirt.  It can be a bit time consuming but really worth the effort.



Well I was just about to post some cute photos of Adam with this bonnet on but Mike vetoed it because he said the hat makes Adam look like a little girl.  He was just trying it on for Delia! No big deal, right?  Oh well.  I can save the photos for Adam's wedding slideshow to be presented some day far into the future ;)  I don't know which of the two will be more horrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment