Saturday, May 12, 2012

Are Dandelions Really The Enemy?

Today Mike and I are taking advantage of the gorgeous 24 deg weather and spending it in the front yard trying to get rid of several years of weed growth.  The people previously occupying this house were renting and clearly weren't too invested on how the gardens looked.  Our neighbours were quite happy to see us both out there this morning attacking the dandelions and we got several comments from people walking along the street. "A long way to go..." one man said as he smiled.  "God help you!" another couple sympathized. It made me laugh.

It's sort of odd that people spend so much time getting rid of dandelions which, when you stop to look at them, are actually quite nice, I think.  They're like happy cloud balls.  Well as you can see in the photo below our whole front yard is covered in happy cloud balls!  I went around clipping off the heads to try and contain the spores while Mike meticulously uprooted them.  Our yard is going to be pretty splotchy when we're done removing all of these from the lawn!


We had some visitors while we were gardening as well.  Two stray cats came around curiously  to see what we were up to (I assume they are stray since they didn't have collars).  I still had the camera out from photographing the dandelions so I managed to catch a picture of them sneaking up on Mike.



This black and white cat came right up to me while I was kneeling in the yard and gave me a great big stretch. It was pretty cute.  They stayed for a few minutes snooping around and then moved onto the neighbour's yard.



Ok, well it looks like our lunch break is over so it's time to head back out to finish up the front yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment