Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Well-Oiled Machine

Instructions on oiling Singer Featherweight

Today instead of leaving the house to fight crowds on Boxing Day I stayed home with Mike and started the chenille blanket for baby.  I've been wanting to make it since I finished the blue butterfly chenille blanket for Grace and now that I'm done reupholstering the nursing chair I have time for a new project! 

However after about two or three hours of constant sewing I really started to notice how the Singer was rattling.  I knew that it was in desperate need of oiling but it's not something I enjoy doing since it involves a taking apart sections of the machine and trying to squeeze oil or grease into various tight spaces.  Fortunately Mike offered to oil it for me so I happily hovered around and snapped photos.

My little sewing station


The whole process took about 30 minutes and involved touching up over twenty spots on the machine and it really made a difference. It hummed much more smoothly once Mike was finished with it and now I can carry on with my sewing marathon without the guilty conscience! 


Oiling the base

No comments:

Post a Comment